Three Questions (and Answers!) about Duct Cleaning
According to experts, the air in your home could be significantly more polluted than outdoor air. Part of the problem is that microorganisms gather and spread in places where conditions are “right” – including your ductwork.
Professional duct cleaning should be part of the routine maintenance of your HVAC system – a way to keep the air in your house safe and clean for your family. Here are three questions and answers about duct cleaning in your Northern New Jersey home.
1. What are the benefits of an HVAC duct cleaning?
Ducts in a heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system can collect and distribute microorganisms such as mold, fungi, bacteria along with small particles of dust throughout your home. Over time, these contaminants could cause respiratory problems and other health issues. Professionally removing these contaminants is an important step in improving indoor air quality in your home. You can read more about the benefits of cleaning your ducts here.
2. How often should HVAC ducts be cleaned?
A good rule of thumb is to consider cleaning your ducts every five years. However, the recommended frequency of cleaning could be shorter if:
- Someone smokes in the home
- You have pets that shed high amounts of hair and dander
- You have sustained damage to your home or HVAC system
- You have allergies or asthma
- Your home has undergone renovations or remodeling
3. What criteria should I use when selecting an HVAC duct cleaning contractor?
It’s always good to do your diligence before hiring a contractor to clean your ducts. To narrow down your pool of candidates, use the following pre-qualifications:
- Make sure the company has been in business long enough to have a track record of doing the work properly.
- Get proof that the company is properly licensed and adequately insured.
- Verify that the company is certified to perform duct cleaning services.
- Get a written estimate of the work to be performed.
- Avoid sales gimmicks and “discounters.”
- Ask if the company has the proper equipment to effectively to remove the pollutants that are putting your air quality, efficiency, and even your health at risk – and if the company has done work in homes similar to yours.
- Get references – preferably from people you know.
Ready to invest in duct cleaning for your Northern New Jersey home? Call the pros at Mark Lindsay Plumbing. Contact us today to get started!