Your Spring Plumbing Check-Up – 7 Tips for Healthier Home Plumbing
Spring is a great time to give your home a re-boot – and one of the best ways to do that is to give your home plumbing a once-over to identify and remedy any potential problems.
Here are seven ways to give your home plumbing a quick checkup as we:
- Look for faucet and toilet leaks — Put a few drops of food coloring in your toilet tank; if you have a leak, you’ll see the color in the bowl within an hour. Turn all house faucets on and off and look for drips there, too.
- Install drain strainers – A simple drain strainer (you can buy them at any hardware store) could prevent a costly repair down the road by reducing the buildup of hair, soap or other items in your pipes.
- Check toilet flush handles – If you have to jiggle your toilet handle or hold it down to get a full flush, the handle should be replaced.
- Check little-used drains – Pour a gallon of water into any drain you don’t use on a regular basis; these drains can trap gas and odors in the house. If you have a floor drain that backs up or drains slowly, it should probably be snaked.
- Look for obvious water damage – Check under sinks for any evidence of water damage or leaks, which could lead to mold formation and other problems.
- Inspect your sump pump – See this post for more on this important task.
- Check outdoor connections – Turn your outdoor water supply back on for the season, then check all your fixtures – including faucets and hose bibs – to make sure they are working properly.
Need professional plumbing service for your New Jersey home? Contact us today for a FREE estimate!