Is Your Home Winter Ready?
Winter is coming and the cold weather will soon be upon us! There are several things you can do to make sure your home and family are prepared for the cold weather, like cleaning your air ducts, or scheduling heating maintenance service.
Check out our infographic below for some helpful tips and tricks to get your home ready for winter. If you have any questions, or need help getting your home cold-weather-ready, reach out to us soon!
Here are a few questions, answers, and reminders about how to help you keep your home and family safe in the cold months to come.
Q: Do you provide emergency service?
A: Yes, we offer emergency HVAC and water heater repair and plumbing service – just be sure to troubleshoot your heating system before scheduling a service call.
Q: How do I prevent frozen pipes?
A: Frozen pipes can cause significant problems in your NJ home – but most of the time they’re preventable with a few simple precautions. Here are three keys to preventing frozen pipes:
Pre- winter :
- Insulate pipes in areas exposed to cold air (garage, unheated basement, etc.)
- Seal air leaks around holes in exterior walls
- Shut off and drain water from pipes leading to outside faucets
During a cold snap:
- Run a trickle of warm water overnight on especially cold nights
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to un-insulated pipes under sinks.
If you go on vacation or own a second home:
- Keep your thermostat set for a minimum of 55°F
- Ask a neighbor to check your home during cold snaps
- Follow all directions for “Pre-winter” above
Q: What happens if my pipes have already frozen or burst?
If your pipes are frozen:
- You may be able to thaw a frozen pipe with a hair dryer; start by warming the pipe close to the faucet, working toward the coldest section of pipe. If that doesn’t provide immediate and complete relief, contact us right away. Never use and open flame to melt frozen pipes!
If your water pipes have burst:
- Turn off water at the main shutoff valve; stop water use entirely and call us right away!